Monday, February 13, 2017

Hello Readers!

This past week has been uneventful. Essentially all I've done for my SRP  is rereading a book on how to use basic Python programming. The book is a little tedious at the beginning, the main things it teaches you how to do is to make functions which isn't particularly challenging but it is really important. Example of how to define functions on Python:

>>> def convert_to_celcius(Fahrenheit):
        Return (Fahrenheit-32)*5/9

Writing these is pretty straightforward. The main importance of knowing how to define an equation is so you can program a loop that lets you plug a lot of data into a function and have all of the data go through the algorithm in one input. There are two types of loops: a for loop and a while loop. For loops are loops that plug and chug the data. While loops repeat statement(s) while the given condition is true.

This next week I'll take a small step away from programming and focus on interpreting the data from ELAN files (annotated video of me playing piano and being stimulated to make mistakes). Hopefully I can write a short summary of the data that we've collected so we can figure out what the paper we're writing should look like.

Cheers,
Dylan


4 comments:

  1. Will you need anything in Python more complicated than simple functions in order to interpret your data? Can you run the code on your own computer? Or will you have to use a computer there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I know I'll also use a type of Python MatLab to make sure the data doesn't have any irregular brain waves. I'm sure there are other things that aren't just functions but I'm not totally sure what I'll be using with the data yet. I can use my computer for pretty much all of it.

      Delete
  2. So, why did you need to learn programming? Is it to interpret data?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's to make the data interpretable. The data itself is mainly a picture of brain waves while using programming makes it easier to see where in the brain was stimulated.

      Delete