Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Further Along with Project

This past week I looked at where in my brain was shocked when I made mistakes and what type of mistakes I made. For the most part, deletion, slowing down, arrests, and addition all originated from part of the motor cortex. Interestingly, substitution came more from Broca's area than the motor cortex. This makes sense because Broca's is relatively important for hand movement. It's interesting that Broca's area is involved though because it is also one key part of the brain for speech. I talked about all of this in a meeting with my advisor, Matt, where we spread annotated pictures of my brain across a table (see picture below) and tried to summarize where was particularly important. In the end we decided that it would be interesting and get closer to writing a paper if we compare the speech tests that were done on me to the piano tests. My next step will be to make another ELAN file of annotations on speech errors that occurred when my brain was shocked in tests similar to the piano tests.

What happened outside of the lab? I had a piano lesson at Stanford with my dad's old piano teacher and got to shake hands with Condoleezza Rice, former Secretary of State! It was pretty cool to hear a politician playing piano.

Dylan


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Very cool indeed. Where is the picture? It didn't show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry forgot to post it! Should be up there now.

      Delete